Luckily thanks to various pushes from my review panel members I printed my first draft yesterday... only to find about a 100 mistakes and changes to be made.
First thing the size, having asked about the print area on a regular Digital printing sheet I calculated that making the page size 6 by 6 inches would give me minimum wastage. I was misinformed and it turns out that the page size should be 5.8 by 5.8 inches to get 6 spreads in one sheet.
Second the grid. The inside margin was too narrow which I found after binding as a lot of the images were getting lost in the fold.
The hand written type for all the dialogue was a bit too small in some pages and I am reconsidering using it as it is a children’s book and the typography has to be very clear, simple and legible.
The blues didn’t come out as I expected and Nupur had mentioned this to me. For the next print I will have to re-check all the background colours and a few of the illustration colours with a colour value book. Cheeku looks like he has jaundice in a few spreads. The colour blue feels a little over powering; I am reconsidering the use of such a strong colour in so many pages.
The flaps should also be better utilised. I spent a lot of time editing the text that would come in them but there are two side to the flap and using both makes more sense in terms of the information I can give as well as visually.
One of the main pull outs came out upside down and I will have to adjust most of my flaps.
There are a lot of changes that I need to make and I suppose better now than later. Will have more inputs from my review panel next week.
In the mean time, I’m going to start working on the collaterals.
· A twin set of tote bags
· A twin set of aprons
· A set of 6 table mats